I love sharing some random things from my week with you guys, so I'm linking up with Kacey at Doodle Bugs Teaching! :)
1. We went on a field trip to the Biltmore House and it was so great! The kids LOVED it! They learned so much and they were just so adorable. It was crazy cold for March and it snowed all day. So it was gorgeous in Asheville, NC!
Is this a judge free zone? I hope so. You know those hard to love kids? Well I had a few in my group that day. I am glad that I did it, because it made me fall in love with them. They were just so cute and so excited. That is one reason why I love field trips!
2. We started fractions last week. Ugh. Fractions. Does anyone else feel that way about fractions?? We do Investigations, so it's not unbearable. The first few sessions are all about sharing brownies. Today's lesson introduced mixed numbers using brownies. So instead of using paper for brownies, I brought in brownies! I thought about making brownies, and I took the easy way out and bought some Little Debbies! :)
So I put the students in groups of 4 and gave each group 7 brownies. They had to figure out a way to share them equally!
They pondered and discussed.
They agreed as a group and cut up the brownies.
It was pretty cool, all of the groups cut their brownies in a different way. I only got two pictures though.
Then we gathered around each table and they shared! They did such a great job explaining their thinking. They have turned into such great math talkers!
Then of course they got to eat! :)
3. I have another fun math activity too. We actually did this one sometime last week, but I just found the pictures! :)
When we got our benchmarks back, my kids were seriously lacking on area and perimeter. So I threw in a little area activity. This activity shows how figures have the same area, but different perimeters.
We got out the the Geoboards, which all kids love! The students worked in partners. They rolled two dice and added the two numbers together. Then, they had to create a figure with the area that they rolled. They could use whole units or 1/2 units (triangles, etc).
I've added it into my Math Groups now and the kids love it!
4. We have also been learning about landforms. I used two fabulous products from TPT!
This pack from Tara was awesome! It included awesome reading selections, flipbooks and quick checks! LOVED IT! Great for my shared reading time!
This pack from Deana was awesome too! She has so many activities, I only wish I would have had more time to use them all! She had these fun riddle cards, so I used them to introduce the unit. I posted them throughout our hallway and they went on a hunt!
Click on the cover pages above to check out the products!
5. Last, but not least, I'm announcing a sale! :)
It's Spring, although it doesn't quite feel like it here in NC! So, it's time to start Spring Cleaning!
It's time to Spring Clean that Wishlist of yours at TPT. I know that I am planning on it. A lot of my fabulous friends are having sales too, so you should definitely check out the links below and spend some time shopping this weekend. Click here to check out my TPT shop! :)