So, it's Five for Fraturday!
1. We have been working on fractions in class. Our curriculum introduced equivalent fractions in a pretty awesome way, using pattern blocks! A hexagon is a whole, a trapezoid is 1/2, a rhombus is 1/3 and a triangle is 1/6.
They played a game where they rolled a fraction die and added that amount of pattern blocks to their recording sheet to build hexagons. We play a lot of math games with Investiagions, but this is by far my favorite one!
2. It's finally warm here, it's been in the 70's every day! Our school is an older building so our AC never quite works right! Well, it didn't work the first two days and it was rough. So, to escape the heat, we spent some time reading outside.
3. We have been doing some reading test prep review, so we have been making reading fold-its to make it a little more fun. This is a venn diagram we did this week comparing two stories.
This is one of the templates in my Fold-It Template Pack.
4. We had Parent-Teacher Conferences this week, but they were student-led. I always love hearing the students share their learning with their parents! They shared their published writing from the year, their reader's notebooks and their Interactive Science Journals. They also taught their parents how to play some of our math games!
To begin the conference, the students wrote a letter to their parents about their year.
You can download it from Google Docs here!
5. I've linked up with Jessica at Second Grade Nest! She is having a linky filled with Earth Day Ideas! I've linked up my Earth Day Task cards.
Click on the picture to check out some of the other things linked up!
I'll give away one set of these Earth Day Task Cards. Leave me a comment telling me about one thing from your week! I'll choose someone on Sunday.
I hope you have a great weekend! :)